BrowniesWeltanschauung

Monday, June 13, 2005

AC, This one's for you...

Ahhhh, reading.

The infamous Anonymous Cog tagged me for a book meme. So here goes...

Number of books I own? Wow, this is a tough one. I'd count, but I don't have the time, so I'll estimate...300ish?

Last book I bought? Well, now I have to admit that I'm addicted to the Harry Potter books. My most recent purchase was Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince. It should be here tomorrow :)

Last book I read? I just finished a book by Greg Iles, The Footprints of God. It was pretty good. I won't give away too much, but it was basically a science fiction novel about artificial intelligence, power, government, and the search for immortality with a smidge of romance thrown in for good measure. I'd give it 3 stars.

Five books that mean a lot to me:
1. Charlotte's Web by E.B. White. It's where it all began for me.
2. Death Be Not Proud by John Gunther. If you've never read this book, you should. It's a memoir, written by the father of a boy who died from a brain tumor at the age of 17. This boy is amazing in so many ways, courageous, selfless, bright, funny...
3. A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens. I'm a big fan of Dickens. I think this book held my interest more than any of his others, except maybe A Christmas Carol. I was never interested in history when I was younger. Once I read this book, I wanted to learn all about the history of the revolution. Anything that acts as a catalyst for learning, or tickles my brain enough to make me think long and hard about something is a good thing, in my opinion :)
4. Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides. What a fabulous story. My friend recommended this book to me. It's one of her favorites. It's become one of mine as well. I won't give away the storyline, it's too complex to even try to give a brief summary. Just read it! :)
5. Anything by Stephen King. I love him. I love his stories, his sense of humor, his imagination, his style. I am the person he's talking to when he addresses 'constant reader.'

Now that I've participated, I'm passing this on to a few of my constant-reader-friends, Doggy, Art, LadyJane...Tag! You're it!

Labels:

5 Comments:

  • I love this game. I bet I am "It" (that was a scary Stephen King book and I forever hate clowns now). for a few days. This will take some serious thinking.

    By Blogger Dawn Rossbach, at 7/25/2005 2:00 PM  

  • Thanks for the tag! I saw this meme on Art's blog and thought it would be fun...who knew I'd find it here!

    Thinking cap is on....

    XO

    LadyJane

    By Blogger Jane, at 7/25/2005 7:20 PM  

  • "Infamous"?? What's that supposed to mean? If it's referring to my dangerous, virile side, that is feared by call center managers from New Jersey to New Delhi, I'm OK with that.

    But if it means anything else, I may choose to be slightly offended...

    Enjoyed the post.

    AC

    By Blogger AnonymousCog, at 7/25/2005 9:25 PM  

  • I love Stephen King too! Hey whatever happened to that series they were going to start on TV--
    Nightmares and Dreamscapes based on SK stories? Maybe it is coming out this fall. Oh wait- this is about books, not TV. LOL

    By Blogger Moonie, at 7/26/2005 9:23 AM  

  • No need to be offended, AC. Of course I was referring to your bad-assedness that is the fear of all call center managers [wink]

    Jane, I look forward to your post.

    Moonie, I hadn't heard of a TV show based on Nightmares and Dreamscapes. Or was it just something new he was writing? I did watch Kingdom Hospital while it was on. Did you ever see that show?

    By Blogger Brownie, at 7/26/2005 9:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home