BrowniesWeltanschauung

Saturday, April 23, 2005

A True Love Affair

I discovered it in the fourth grade. Mrs. Twitchell was getting ready to start reading a new book to the class. We'd just finished Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing by Judy Blume. I could totally relate to poor Peter Hatcher. I had a younger sister who thought that just because she was my sister, she had every right to do everything that I did. It was annoying to say the least.

I went to a small public school - small town, akin to Mayberry of Andy Griffith fame. I didn't think it was odd at all that my fourth grade teacher, Mrs. Twitchell, read aloud to us. As a matter of fact, I thought it was great! I still do. I would say that there should be more teachers like her now, but there aren't any that I know of. So, I'll say there should be teachers like her, period.

Anyway, the next book on the list was Charlotte's Web by E.B. White. I'd never heard of it. I had no idea that the book was a bit young for us but that Mrs. Twitchell loved it so much she couldn't help herself. She had to share it with us. Also, I was terrified of spiders, so I wasn't thrilled with anything that had the word 'web' in the title, but I sat and listened as always and that's where it all began.

While sitting in that classroom on a huge braided rug in the makeshift corner library, lovingly created by Mrs. Twitchell, I fell in love with words, words like terrific, radiant, and humble; words I'd not heard before, or more probably, not cared about. I was fascinated by this story. I became Fern. I was transported to this farm. I was as confused, and frightened by the barn as poor little Wilbur, the runt. Not only did I not care that Charlotte was a spider, I adored her. She was so intelligent, so wise, so calm, and yes...even beautiful.

From that moment on, words fascinated me. I wanted to know what everything meant. I couldn't absorb enough vocabulary. I read daily. The muscles of my imagination began to bulge and ripple with very little effort. By the time I left the fourth grade, I'm sure I'd read every book in that corner library in Mrs. Twitchell's classroom. That story, that make-believe story of a pig and his best friend the spider, opened the door to what has now been nearly a twenty-five year love affair with books.

Years later, as I was leaving home for the first time - off to California, the other side of the country, the other side of the world for me, I asked my mom to pick up something for me to read on my trip. I was nearly twenty years old on that day and a voracious reader of Stephen King novels. He’d just released a new book and I assumed mom would know to get that one. As I was rushing off to start my trip, mom handed me the book she'd gotten me, Charlotte's Web.

I still have that very book. I read it on my trip that day and I’ve read it at least once each year since. It's a reminder of where it all began, my love of language.

Thank you, Mrs. Twitchell. Without you, who knows what I'd have fallen in love with.


Fourth grader 1980-1981

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

  • Brownie, that was one of the best love letters ever written. Beautiful. Mrs. Twitchell would be proud.

    And as everything relates to everyone, it was Ms. White for me, and she started my life-long love affair with the The Little House series, which I have continued with my daughter.

    By Blogger Jane, at 4/23/2005 5:54 PM  

  • That was really lovely Joy. That was one of my favorite books as well. I loved hearing what it meant to you.
    Like Jane, I also fell in love with the Little House books.
    Aren't we lucky to have books in our lives?

    By Blogger Moonie, at 4/24/2005 2:01 AM  

  • This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    By Blogger Julie, at 4/24/2005 10:11 AM  

  • How wonderful. I hope that your teacher continued to inspire the same love of books in many other fourth graders.

    By Blogger Julie, at 4/24/2005 10:12 AM  

  • I loved that book too - it was also a gift from a teacher - second grade, I think. Thanks for the memories. :)

    By Blogger Lisa, at 4/26/2005 1:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home