BrowniesWeltanschauung

Monday, November 21, 2005

Simply Having A Wonderful Christmastime

Christmas is on the horizon. It's obvious, isn't it? The biting chill in the air, the snowflakes starting to fall, the winter coats, the scarves, the hats, stores filled with decorations, lights, cards, trees, wreathes, ornaments, stockings...they hit you at every turn.

For me, I truly know that the Christmas season has arrived once I hear the Salvation Army bell ringing.

I went to Walgreens this past Friday and there it was; the Christmas pot with its jolly bell-ringer by its side. It was bitter cold that day. I feel sorry for the bell-ringers. They always look so cold. I'm sure they feel snubbed and maybe even take it personally when no one drops money into their Christmas pot. It's a good cause. I usually drop in whatever change I have in my pocket, or a dollar or two if I've no spare change. That didn't feel like enough for me that day. After I left, I drove over to the gas station and bought a large cup of steaming coffee. I brought it back to her to help keep her warm while she was collecting for the needy.

It was another of those moments for me; a revelation. You know the feeling when you realize you're becoming your mother? It was one of those moments. I used to make fun of my mother for doing things like that. She used to serve lemonade or iced tea to the construction workers when they were out in front of her house. At the time, I thought it was odd...perhaps simple. I've learned over the years that she was just being herself, giving of herself. In a way it was simple, a simple act of kindness.

Maybe I've got the Christmas spirit bug. Maybe I'm trying to skip over Thanksgiving and go right to Christmas this year. Maybe I'm just thankful to be alive.

Or maybe it's all of the above.

4 Comments:

  • Awww. You're not your mother; you're just nice. You're human. And you are doing what should actually be expected of humans.

    The other day, I witnessed an accident. My daughter was in the car, and I was on the cell phone (shut up; we were stopped at a light) talking to my sis, and the car next to me was hit. I hung up immediately, moved my car to a safe place in the middle of the road, and walked over to the woman who was hit. I made sure she had a phone, and she was shaking so badly and was so frightened that I gave her a hug. I think that was what she needed most. I also gave her my card because I was a witness.

    We should start treating our fellows better. Maybe it's a reflection on how we treat ourselves.

    By Blogger fuquinay, at 11/21/2005 5:19 PM  

  • Hmm, I liked what you said here, Brownie. And what Leslie added. Funny, though, that as I was reading it I immediately wondered if that woman drank the tea you brought her. Or if she dumped it after you left, because you can't trust strangers and sickos, after all... that kind of mentality. Along the lines of not being allowed to donate pizzas, for example, to a homeless shelter. Or anything unsealed, for that matter. Sad, sad.

    By Blogger Smart Mouth, at 11/22/2005 12:13 PM  

  • How ironic. In the shower this morning I had a revelation and I thought about how long it had been since I have had one. It's been years!

    I finally came ot the realization that maybe I can accept living where I do after 9 years.

    What I loved about your post was that I felt your spirit and how you noticed, cared, and did something cool to show your appreciation for the bell ringer. That was beautiful.

    By Blogger Dawn Rossbach, at 11/22/2005 9:32 PM  

  • I think people have become trustworthy again now that the Halloween fiascos have been debunked. We used to not accept apples and things from neighbors out of fear they harbored razor blades or poison. Turns out that something three people have ever been poisoned by Halloween candy, and all of the incidents were linked to their own relatives!

    By Blogger fuquinay, at 11/28/2005 12:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home