BrowniesWeltanschauung

Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Yes, Brownie. There Is A Santa Claus!

I've been so overwhelmed lately. I'm behind in almost every area of my life it seems. Today is the last day of my holiday baking, thank goodness! The deliveries start tomorrow. I still have to finish some Christmas shopping. I finally got some packages in the mail today. I've only half finished Mom's cross-stitch project which is supposed to be done, framed, wrapped, and under the tree by noon on Christmas day. I'm not exactly sure how that's going to happen as I'll be up baking tonight until midnightish (again), tomorrow after work I need to finish my shopping, Friday after work the band is playing, Saturday afternoon is the Browns - Steelers game...[sigh]. I'll find the time somewhere, I suppose. I always do...somehow; I find the energy, the money, and the time to get it all done. No one gets disappointed. Amazing.

It's funny how things somehow manage to magically happen around this time of year. A lady that I used to work with once told me that her granddaughter asked her if there really was a Santa Claus. Their conversation went something like this:

Granddaughter (GD) - "Grandma, is there REALLY a Santa Claus?"
Grandma (GM) - "Of course! Why would you ask that?"
GD - "Well, it's just that I'm 10 now...and...well...I'm pretty sure there's not. You don't have to lie to me anymore. I know he's not real."
GM - "Lie!?! I'm not lying. I know there must be a Santa Claus. I know I certainly believe in him. You can believe what you want to, but I believe he's real."
GD - "YOU still believe in Santa Claus? Are you kidding?"
GM - "Nope."
GD - "Come on. You can't be serious."
GM - "Serious as a heart attack."
GD - "OK. Why do you believe there's a Santa?"
GM - "All I know is that all year long I struggle. I struggle to make ends meet, to pay the mortgage, the car payment, the bills. I live from paycheck to paycheck always worried that some huge house or car repair might come up that I won't be able to afford."
GD - "Uh huh."
GM - "And then Christmas time comes around and somehow, miraculously, I have extra money. I have enough to buy gifts for your grandpa, your mommy and daddy, your aunts and uncles, your cousins, my friends, and anyone else I choose."
GD - "So, how does that prove there's a Santa?"
GM - "Well, who do you think makes that possible? If there's no Santa, how does that happen?"
GD - "Hmm, well...maybe you have a point."

It's kind of a simple story. Kind of makes you wonder though...doesn't it?

2 Comments:

  • I wonder, too, how my schedule happens. For the first time in eight years, I stayed up past ten every night since Thanksgiving to get all those things done. Now I can't seem to go to bed before eleven. If not Santa, it must be Harry Hanukkah.

    How did your mom like the surprise cross stitch?

    By Blogger fuquinay, at 1/07/2006 1:43 PM  

  • She loved it. It was funny actually. She said, "I didn't want to say anything to offend you, honey, but I was wondering why you'd picked that for L. It didn't seem like her taste to me."

    By Blogger Brownie, at 1/09/2006 10:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home