BrowniesWeltanschauung

Monday, March 12, 2007

Sister-Friends

A very close friend of mine sent me a text message the other day that said simply "Just sitting here thinking about what great friends I have. I love you!" This particular 'friend' is more of a family member to me than a friend. It's confusing when I introduce her to new people. She used to be married to my brother, so she's my former sister-in-law. She has come out of her shell since the divorce. She played the role of a hermit for a while, but she will now go out with us, she's dating, she's having fun, enjoying life again. In spite of not having a college education, she's become the COO of the telecommunications company for which she used to work, but now is a partner/co-owner. She shares with me her dreams, her fears, her life.

My real sister (blood sister, the only one I have) is also my friend, probably my best friend. She and I are very much alike in a lot of ways, completely the opposite in others. We have the same voice (in more ways than one). Very few people can tell us apart over the phone. We have the same facial expressions. We share many of the same memories, good and bad. We also share many of the same fears. Some people say we look alike, that it's obvious we're sisters.

I don't see it. She's tall with light hair and dark eyes, small boned, thin. I'm short with dark hair and light eyes, a muscular frame, and overweight. I think the resemblance that people see between us is more in our mannerisms, facial expressions, and the way we react to each other. We finish each other's sentences often. There are many times that we need not speak out loud at all. We understand each other. We can, and do, share everything, even our secrets.

I have a very dear friend who lives in Maryland. So often I find myself wishing she were closer. We 'talk' almost daily via the internet and the occasional phone call. We see each other in person at least once per year. This year twice! She inspires me to make use of my talents, to make time for me, for fun. She's a mother, a wife, a sister, a friend, a teacher, a poet, a photographer, an artist, and an admirer of cake and beer. The waters of her soul run very deep. This woman is so much more than what she seems at first glance. I love her dearly and I hope that she knows that.

I have another good friend who's new. We met only a year ago, although it seems we've known each other forever. She teaches special education kids at a local public school. She has the smartest 3 year old little girl I think I've ever known. She's a good mom.

We're strong women, all of us.

I of course have other friends that I could also write about. Frankly, I don't have the time. These 4 women are most prominent in my life right now. I adore each of them because of who they are, what they stand for, their loyalty, and their beauty.

We are women, we're not perfect, but we're beautiful, we're sisters, we're friends.

4 Comments:

  • Can I be the one from Maryland?

    This was beautiful. Thanks for including me and for being you all the time.

    But what do you mean that I'm more than what I seem at first glance? I am more than just breathtakingly gorgeous? :)

    You do look like your sister, by the way. I can't see her mannerisms, but I see you in each other.

    By Blogger fuquinay, at 10/13/2006 10:58 AM  

  • what a lovely post. i've lurked on over here from a doggy's life way and glad i did. beautiful tribute to the sisters..all of them.

    By Blogger Girlplustwo, at 10/18/2006 7:48 PM  

  • Thanks Jen. Nice to see you.

    By Blogger Brownie, at 10/18/2006 8:56 PM  

  • Yes, you are WAY more than breathtakingly gorgeous.

    By Blogger Brownie, at 10/20/2006 4:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home