BrowniesWeltanschauung

Tuesday, August 24, 2004

My grandma

I wrote this because I thought that my grandma's obituary didn't say nearly enough about her, who she was, what she was, how she lived her life.

My grandma ...

She was not a learned woman.
She was superstitious and simple.
She was also humble, wise, stubborn, and beautiful.
She was kisses goodnight,
Secret winks,
Freshly baked cookies, chicken and dumplings, pinto beans and cornbread,
Someone to be feared,
Someone to be respected,
Someone who would not tolerate dishonesty,
Someone who refused to change,
No matter how much the world was changing around her.

She was hand-made quilts hanging on the clothesline on a warm, breezy, summer day.
She was Christmas
And baseball.
She was a knowing smile.
She was the scent of Oil of Olay and White Shoulders.
She was a long, slow glide on the front porch swing.

She was a commanding woman, my grandma,
Who was full of spunk, laughter, and more love than her heart could hold.

My grandma left behind a legacy of love.

I will miss her always.

There's a lot more to say about her, her life, her great love. Now is not that time. RIP Grandma, I love you.


2 Comments:

  • That was a lovely tribute. My grandma was many of those things, too. She was mandel bread, matzoh ball soup, and African violets. That's the thing about grandmas. xxoo

    By Blogger fuquinay, at 8/24/2004 12:24 PM  

  • {{{Brownie}}} She sounds a lot like my beloved grandma... I smiled about the pinto beans and the home made quilt. I'm so very sorry for your loss.

    By Blogger LeAnne, at 8/25/2004 9:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home